Sunday, January 22, 2012

Calling of the Southwest

I really enjoyed reading Bless Me, Ultima.  I appreciated Anaya's skill as a writer.  The book is like one long, beautiful poem.  There were many themes in the book I could discuss, but there was one in particular I found intriguing and strongly related to, and that was the theme of spiritual connection to the land.

Growing up in the desert made me appreciate the magic of rivers.  Rivers are life-giving.  They are wonderful ecosystems that the desert feeds off of, and the river that Antonio gathers herbs by and swims in with his friends is an important landmark in the book.  The river speaks to Antonio.  He feels its presence.  The idea that the land is alive, speaking, moving, giving, in an active and intentional way is apparent throughout the book.  This concept may be a little bit out there for some people, but I love it.

I have experienced land in this way when I lived in the Southwest, and when I visited Yellowstone National Park two years ago, as well as during other travels.
I remember hiking in the desert almost weekly when we lived in Arizona.  Rivers run through Sabino canyon and Saguaros stand tall, arms reaching to the sky.  The sky.  I've never seen it bluer anywhere else than in Tucson.  In the spring the cacti bloom, big beautiful petals, and the prickly pear grow fruit.
There is an incredible breathe in the desert.  You can see it.
When my family visited Yellowstone I experienced a similar spiritual connection to the land.  I absolutely love mountains.  Being able to hike with such beauty surrounding me was an incredible experience.  The Grand Tetons are steadfast and glorious.  We camped on Jenny Lake which was gorgeous.  One evening we went on a short hike and the lake was completely still.  We felt like the only ones in the park.  It was in the stillness I particularly felt the land "speak."

I think Antonio feels and hears the Llano in a unique and specific way because it is his home.  Where do you feel at home?  Is there a piece of land or a place in the world that speaks to you the way the river speaks to Antonio?  Is this your home?

5 comments:

  1. Even though I did not grow up in a similar place as Antonio, I can understand his connection to the land he lives in. He is a child of a vaquero, and his blood comes from the llano, the land of his father. He is connected to it because it is his homeland, and it is of breathtaking beauty in the eyes of Antonio. He grows up in the llano, and his life experiences teach him that the land will be a part of him forever, like it was with his father. I come from the southeast, where there are not plains or mountains. But I think it has its own beauty. I can remember the woods that are prominent, and the rows and rows of cotton and hay that is everywhere in the countryside. I connect to the land because it is what I grew up in, and where I think my heritage flows even now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful imagery! The west (and of course the southwest in particular) is a land that, in many ways, still feels as if it has the ability to be connected to like the east and (somewhat) the midwest lack because of their population density. It is a pity that people and industrialization has taken over to the point that it is difficult to get somewhere where you won’t see or hear people or their creation.

    Luckily for us, we have the means and the locations to visit nature unspoilt, where we can experience the same kind of connection Anaya describes so incredibly in his novel that Anthony has to the land. In many ways, finding yourself in nature amongst the mountains and the llano is far more possible than when you’re swarming in the midst of thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a place a bit different than the southwest, we have a lush green backdrop to our springs, with beautiful colored flowers that bloom and really bring a brightness to counter other more dreary times of the year. Antonio’s ties to the land remind me of the area my grandparents live in; many are farmers in the area and are tied to the land for their livelihood. They rely on nature and appeal to the spiritual to aid them when more help is needed. Their connection to the land allows them to know things about nature that I am not sure I will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that everyone has a certain place where they are connected to. Going back home is always quite the experience for me. Noticing all the small changes to my family and the scenery is eye opening and it makes me realize just how far I have come since High School. I believe most people get strong feelings to the place where they grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy, this is a beautiful evocation of the Southwestern landscape. Thanks for emphasizing the importance of rivers in the desert--this certainly echoes the centrality of rivers in Bless Me, Ultima. In the novel it appears that all of the characters are tied to nature. Ultima is the character who most honors the spirit of the land, but Antonio's father and mother are also deeply tied to their places of origin. The spirit of place is something we can feel everywhere--but the land in the Southwest in particular has been regarded as sacred by many peoples.

    ReplyDelete