Sunday, January 8, 2012

Joyful

My full name is Miranda Joy Schlabach.  My parents named me Miranda with the intention of calling me Mandy.  I often wonder why they didn't just name me Mandy in the first place since it has become my real name, the one people know me by and the name by which I introduce myself.  Miranda has become a nickname.  A few of my closest friends call me Miranda, as well as my Dad and my Grandpa.

Miranda means "worthy of admiration" and Mandy means "worthy of love."  I'd like to think my name doesn't mean just worthy of receiving love, but rather worthy of Love, and all that word entails.  Giving love,  receiving it, sharing, hoping, working, living, breathing love.  A phrase that has always carried meaning for me is:  Love is the Kingdom of God.  My name is a good reminder for me of what path I want to travel, and what my goals and priorities are.

My Mom is the one who wanted to call me Mandy, but but she also chose my middle name, Joy.  She once told me she chose it as a blessing, that my life may be filled with joy and that I may give great joy to others.  She calls me Mandy Joyful.  She's an avid nicknamer, lovingly giving her children all sorts of ridiculous nicknames.  Some of mine are, Manda, Mandalin, Mandarin, Mandalinni Lou, Mando, Miranda Joyful, and Little Brown Berry.  She began calling me her "little brown berry" ever since I was a small child when my family lived in Tucson, Arizona.  I spent nearly all my time outdoors and would get very brown from the sun.

Names are filled with such tenderness and love.  It seems to me that when you name someone (or something), you begin the process of holding them in your heart, of Knowing them.

3 comments:

  1. I like you last statement here. It is important to recognize that when naming someone, you begin the process of holding them in your heart. Each person is unique and there name should be the start of showing people the uniqueness of a person. Also, I understand what you mean with the nickname. People don't call me by my first name. My family always called me by my nickname. It has always been like that and I'm guessing that my parents had that intention when naming me. Only certain people call me by my first name but that is rare. Lastly, I can relate to how you define your name in the second paragraph. You said your name is a good reminder of the the path you want to travel, and what your goals and priorities are. That is similar to how I defined my name as I said that it is a name that will make a difference. By that I mean that there will be a path for me to travel on and I have certain goals to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that your name reminds you of what you want to be known as and live for! Good names can be inviting and invoke curiosity at the same time. In reading the introduction to "The Latino Reader," I found it interesting to read about the conflict over names. How is culture actually defined? Do the views people have of a culture change with a name? Intriguing.

    I never knew you first name was Miranda! Because I knew you first as Mandy, though, I can't imagine calling you Miranda! My pairing of you with the name Mandy is set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your name essay made me smile. It's funny how your given name has become your nickname, and vice versa. Love the list of nicknames your mother has invented for you--she's creative. It certainly seems that in your family names are full of tenderness and love. Mandy Joyful--what a great thing to be called. Every day you can remind yourself of the love that surrounds you.

    ReplyDelete