Saturday, March 10, 2012

In My Mirror

In my mirror I see white skin, my father’s skin instead of my mother’s freckles.  I am reminded of my mother’s melanoma, and feel lucky to be cancer free.  I wonder, due to this past, if that tragedy is part of my future.  Brown hair, my whole family has brown hair.  My siblings and I used to be blonde when we lived in the West.  Blonde streaks from the rays of the sun, kissing the tops of our heads.  The sun.  The sun is a part of me.  As I survive Indiana winters I dream of the desert sun.  I know the desert, not as a devil’s highway, but as a thing of beauty.  The desert is also part of me. 
           
Tucson, Arizona
I look at my complexion and see Swiss-German roots.  Nicholas Stoltzfus began the Stoltzfus family history in the United States.  I think about all the places I’m tied to, some by blood, some by history, some by experience as places I have visited and come to love.  Africa, beautiful Tanzania rich in history and culture.  Costa Rica with its gorgeous mountains, jungles and oceans, and the colors visible in the city, people, and culture.  Italy, with its gorgeous architecture.  My Aunt, married there.  Rich in history.  Rich in Love.  
            
In my mirror I see what could be, not only what is or what was.  I'm told it is wise to pay equal attention the past, present and future.  Dreaming is part of Me - The Me that is my past, present, and future.  I Dream of places I’ll go and people I’ll see.  The colors of the world inspire me to learn, to travel, to hear peoples stories.


Most of all I just want to listen to music of peoples lives.  The lives of others melt and mold into me, for I am Me only because of those in my life.  


4 comments:

  1. Mandy, I like how you acknowledge the importance of having others in your life and molding you into who you are. I also like how the desert is a part of you, and not seen as a devastating devil's highway. I find it really interesting that we become so tied to the places we are from- maybe not always with a strong desire to live there, but with an appreciation for the memories we have there and how they have formed us.

    You mentioned Tanzania, Costa Rica, and Italy. Are these places you have visited or that are a part of the history of your relatives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, I agree, it is definitely interesting to see how our connections to places form who we are.

      Tanzania and Costa Rica are places I've visited that I came to love, even in the short time I was there. I would love to go back more than anything. There is something truly magical about Africa in particular.

      I visited Italy when I was about 10 years old for my Aunt's wedding, who married into an Italian family. I wish I would have been a little bit older so I could remember more of the trip - I've wanted to return to Italy ever since.

      Delete
  2. I can connect easily with you when you say that you see what could be in your life when you look into the mirror. Dreams are everything to people. We hold them, cherish them, and try to live them. Just like you I just want to listen to the music of people lives. It is amazing to hear the differences in everybody which makes them unique.

    I wonder how hot it was in Arizona. I couldn't imagine myself being in a place as hot as Arizona. I come from Texas and it can get really hot to but not like the desert.

    One last thing, I like how all the people in the life have molded you to become who you are. People wouldn't be who they are if somebody hasn't helped mold them to be them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy, I love your phrase that "you want to listen to the music of people's lives." It seems that you've already had an amazing opportunity to listen to peoples' lives in many parts of the world. And you also have a wise sense of how important the people in our lives are in shaping our identity.

    ReplyDelete