Friday, March 16, 2012

Thoughts on Bodega Dreams

I really enjoyed reading Bodega Dreams because it was interesting to learn about Spanish Harlem.  I have relatives that used to live in Manhattan (it turns out my Aunt lived fairly close to Spanish Harlem) and had visited them more than a few times, yet there is much about the city that takes more time to be discovered, like the relationships between cultural groups.  It was interesting to read about the history involving the Italians which later turned into Spanish Harlem.

There were a few parts or aspects of the novel that struck me in particular.  One was the relationship between Sapo and Chino.  I don't think I could ever completely understand the closeness of their  relationship.  This closeness, I think, had to do with having each other's backs, with fighting, with covering for one another, for being each other's family almost.  Chino said it over and over again: I love Sapo because he loves himself.

This phrase intrigued me, and I continued thinking about it throughout the book.  When I first read the phrase I thought it was kind of strange.  I understood that you can admire someone for their confidence, or "self-love," perhaps, but loving someone only because they love themselves was a new idea for me.  Their history ties Chino and Sapo together, but other than that, wouldn't it just be easier for Chino to forget about Sapo?  He seemed to only create trouble in Chino's life - Blanca doesn't like Sapo, Chino has to hide Sapo's drugs...etc.  Sapo only seemed to make Chino's goals harder to reach, yet Chino never refuses him if he has a request.

This give and take was sort of a theme throughout the novel and seemed to be integral to the nature of the hispanic community in Spanish Harlem.  It was a rule.  One understood one's duties or obligations to another.  They knew if they had a debt to fulfill.

In community it is important to have a flow of give and take, but what was described in Bodega Dreams was almost of a different nature.  Reading the book made me think about my own life.  What are my unspoken obligations to my friends and to my community?

5 comments:

  1. I like how you point out the closeness of the relationship between Sapo and Chino. The kind of closeness they have is exactly as you said, related to them having each other's back, fighting, covering for one another, and being like family. I cannot identify with this type of closeness but I can identify with having a friend to whom you are so close that they feel like family. I have a friend that I met at Goshen that has become my family. She we have been there for each other a variety of things and through these experiences, we have become family. Sometimes, I feel like I am closer to her than people in my family, which seems ridiculous!

    Loving someone because they love them self seems like a weird concept to me. However, aren't we drawn to people with confidence? I feel like sometimes we don't realize it but we are drawn to people with confidence who are willing to speak their opinion and be who they are. How often are we drawn to the quiet people, or the people who act drastically different depending on who they are with? I'm not saying it is right, but I feel like it is a part of our culture that we don't always notice or want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ideas about the give and take theme throughout the novel. You said that this theme "seemed to be integral to the nature of the Hispanic commuity in Spanish Harlem." Do you think it is only an important element of this Puerto Rican group or do you think it is a common part of almost all Latino communities? Often in our American individualistic society it is so hard to remember how differently others view community and how reliant they are on each other. There is something powerful in strong friendships and the desire/willingness to do anything for another person because of your closeness.

    I guess I was also a little surprised that Chino continued his relationship with Sapo even though he was raising a family and knew that Blanca disapproved. It seems more likely that Chino would pull away from the friendship because he now has other people who rely on him and he can rely on Blanca as well. Perhaps Chino recognizes that Sapo is alone and needs a pana to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone is loyal to their friends, and that they are willing to repay a debt because they want to keep friendships together. Without good friends, people are just lonely hermits in this day and age. I agree though, that I was a little confused why Chino continued to be friends with Sapo. He knew that Sapo wasn't involved in the most legal of activities, but he had been his friend for years and years, and that can't just be given up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, this is interesting discussion about the relationship between Sapo and and Chino. For me, the relationship did make some amount of sense--despite the multitude of facepalm moments it caused for me.

    The first chapter of the book describes how Sapo and Chino grew up in an often harsh environment. When you grow up in that kind of world, you come to the realization that you can't do things alone. Like Tavo pointed out in his post, the characters in Bodega Dreams tend to "stick together." Chino could have abandoned Sapo when he found that their relationship was less convenient, but in the world of "Bodega Dreams" this would have been dishonorable: Sapo was there for Chino, now Chino must be there for Sapo in their adult life.

    The reason why this is complicated is that--as adults--Chino and Sapo are now living in seemingly incongruent worlds. While Sapo seems comfortable asserting himself just as he did as a boy and working with Bodega, Chino (while he does accept Bodega's housing offer) seems to be finding away "out."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a good point to make when looking at the relationship between Sapo and Chino. In the drug world people must remain careful with whom they give information too, because many will turn on them faster then they know. Finding a relationship like this is not only hard to find between two people. To trust someone who is not involved in many illegal things may be a risky move, being a involved with large amounts of drugs, but for them it worked out. Though the story may have not always been happy, it shows how true friendship can last though almost anything.

    ReplyDelete